Writing for Children
Author and Artist
Peter E Taylor
Children and adults - this site is for you,
especially if you love books.
Here to enjoy are tips on writing for children,
writing children's books
and illustrating books for children, for beginners and experts
- plus stories and verse, the history of children's books
and fun stuff.
You'll find this site will help you to write for pleasure or profit,
to discover the secrets of getting children's books published
and if you wish, create art-work and your own books.
The site has 4 aims:
To be a fun and useful place to visit.
- oOo -
To help children and adults further develop a passion for books and
the written word, and hopefully encourage all to write,
illustrate and be creative.
- oOo -
To provide information and tips useful to adults and children in
their writing and artistic endeavours, and in promoting their work
to publishers and the public.
- oOo -
To showcase my own books, ideas and techniques - which I also
share by visits, public speaking and workshops.
Thank you so much for visiting my website. Welcome!
I write books of several kinds - picture books, science, stories for all ages, and craft books - and I illustrate some of them.
Please bear with me as I rebuild and improve this website. It's 14 years old and has recently been looking its age. Over the next few days and weeks it will change and start to look more modern, but during this process you may find some pages are only partially re-written and rearranged.
Announcing my new picture book, now in Australian stores...
...'Once a Creepy Crocodile' - wonderfully illustrated by Nina Rycroft and published by The Five Mile Press. The words are to the same rhythm as 'Waltzing Matilda', and there’s a CD of both 'Once a Creepy Crocodile' and 'Waltzing Matilda' being sung by Rusty Berther included with the book. It's aimed at children from about 3 to 9 years old (but I've seen two year olds who love it and the CD, as well), the recommended price is $16.95 and it should be available from all normal stores. Please buy or order from a traditional store if you can, but it's available from online store Boomerang Books and the publisher The Five Mile Press who will mail worldwide, and it will soon also be available, I hope, from other on-line vendors.
July 2015 News...
Yay!!! It's been Shortlisted for the
Australian Speech Pathologist's
'Book of the Year Award'
for children aged 3-5 years old and ...promoting 'quality Australian books that help children get the best, most literate start in life and which encourage a love of reading'. (Winner announced mid-October - please keep your fingers crossed for me!)
You'll find more about the book, how it was written and became published, a free colouring activity sheet of the characters that can be used to act out the story, music scores for singing, playing or a choir, and more at
I know it will become a favourite of many children, but they may also discover some of our unique and less familiar Australian wildlife creatures, and the link will take you to true facts about these, too.
I'd love to send you a small gift if you add a review or video of a performance to YouTube, or of it being enjoyed by a child.
My previous book...
It's published by GMC Publications in the UK but sold worldwide for children aged from about 9 years old up to and including adults. It took nearly 2 years to write, illustrate and produce, with close to 300 pictures of different sizes - I hope it inspires all readers to be creative.
The illustration from it (below) shows how you can use calligraphy together with cut and sculpted paper to create designs. A page like this could be used in a scrapbook to show the relationships between the people who appear in the pictures, or I'm sure it could be hung on the wall, or the technique used for other fun projects or a school assignment.
Again, I always like people to support their local bookstore when they can, but you will find that it's available for purchase through online stores:
The Book Depository Amazon UK GMC - the publisher
If you buy a copy of this book and write a review on one of these or any other website, or in a magazine or newspaper and notify me, I will hand write and decorate a name for you in calligraphy, add a feature incorporating 23ct gold leaf and send it to you.
In the future, I'll add information on this site about the process of writing non-fiction books and what you can expect a publisher to ask you to do in addition to writing the words - I have over 320 emails from my editor in my inbox.
If you are interested in learning calligraphy, or you would like me to write something in calligraphy for you, please visit my new calligraphy website
Steve Jobs learned calligraphy and believed that this tuition played a major role in stimulating his beautiful designs for Apple products.
I can offer tuition to adults and children individually or in groups; through school visits or residencies, and to teachers for in-service training.
Subjects can include:
Calligraphy and Illumination;
Artist’s Book Construction; Creativity with Paper; Papermaking;
Bookbinding; Visual Literacy; Book Cover Design
...as well as writing topics such as Writing and Illustrating Picture Books; Creating Characters; Researching and more.
Please also see the 'Vists' page on this site.
'Practical Calligraphy' is in stores, too...
I've written and illustrated it for children aged 9 and over, and for adults. There are 192 pages with dozens of alphabets and lots of tips and techniques fully explained. Hinkler Books published it in 2010.
And I'm still celebrating the release of
which is published worldwide, also by Hinkler Books.
I co-wrote it with George Ivanoff and Sofija Stefanovic
I hope you’ll also enjoy my picture book
(beautifully illustrated by Gail Breese)
Please click on the 'My New Book' button to see
excerpts, purchasing information and fun stuff.
"I have many more people who want copies of your wonderful book - but I've sold out yet again. How many can you supply?"
J.F. Professional Development
" …There was more activity in Peter Taylor's workshop than I have seen in any teacher's lesson."
E. Y. Headmaster
A little bit more...
I'm the former Coordinator of the Australian state of Queensland's Chapter of the international Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators - the world's premier organisation for children's book creators.
I hope you'll enjoy your visit to this site. It will continue to grow and change, so please visit often.
It has been created so that you can, either now or in the next month or two
·Read and download extracts from my books in progress, and see how they are shaping up.
·Find out more about me, my writing life and past lives.
·See what I have had published.
·Purchase my books.
·Read some helpful tips on writing books for children.
· Download a bedtime-story for children.
· Investigate the history of children's literature.
· Have fun with some illustration techniques.
· Relax and read articles.
· Use writing and craft to win competitions.
·Discover how I make my talks, visits and workshops exciting and different.
·Take a guided tour of my studio (...in the future).
·Meet my Writing Friends.
·Leave me a message.
·Subscribe to my Newsletter - 'The Art of the Story'
And there's much more planned. As well as expanding some of the sections already in place, soon you'll also be able to:
Discover how I have built my website,
Learn from my promotional successes and failures, and
Explore the internet via my collection of links to other useful and fun sites.
But for now, please just click on the page links that interest you.
I hope you enjoy your stay here!
PS Please feel free to print anything you find on this site.
PPS If you would like me to let you know when I make additions to this site, please leave me a message.
- My Books
- Recently published books by Peter Taylor,
- About Peter
- Get to know the author and find out about his past lives.
- Just Finished
- Recently completed and as yet unpublished books, stories, articles and poems.
- In Progress
- Stories, excerpts and sample chapters, including 'How to Win Competitions'
- A Bedtime Story - 'Penny Platypus to the Rescue'
- The text of a children's picturebook story to print and read, suitable for children aged 3-7. A book from the writing desk of author Peter E Taylor. A good bedtime story?
- Articles and short stories - some to make you think, some just for fun, some for interest (and some available for other web-masters).
- Published Books and Articles
- Here are books written for children and adults that have been published.
- History of Children's Books and their Illustration
- The early history.
- Famous Children's Book Illustrators
- My favourite children's book illustrators and their work.
- Tips for Writers
- Do you write for pleasure, necessity or for profit? Here are some tips for people of all ages.
- Illustration Techniques
- Here you'll find lots of pictures, ideas, and 'how to do it' instructions for illustration, illumination, decoration, bookbinding ...
- Visits - Talks and Workshops
- Ideas and information for those who would like to organise a talk or workshop - Peter's are 'different'.
- My Writing and Illustrating Friends
- Let me introduce you to some of my friends.
- How to Draw a Koala
- How to draw an Australian Koala - an activity for children
- My Blog - What's New
- A taste of what's happening in my writing life. All that's new at Writing For Children - my writing life, articles, stories, illustration techniques, what may appear in books in progress and more.
- Leave a Message
- I look forward to hearing from you.
- The Art of the Story - Newsletter
- Receive The Art of the Story, the free Newsletter of Writing for Children - tips for writing and illustrating books for children and activities that children can do themselves.
- Books,Writing, Reading and Creativity
- Videos show how to help children develop a love of books, and encourage writing, reading and creativity by increasing their experiences of calligraphy, artist's books and more.